In this 9th and final chapter in the book, which was apparently completed a year ago, Sayyid Imam Sharif (aka Dr. Fadl) examines the demise of Ayman al-Zawahiri. After having dedicated thirty years to collapsing the Egyptian government, al-Zawahiri still finds himself with no tangible successes to which he can point. Dr. Fadl references the classic April 1995 article al-Zawahiri wrote for al-Jihad Mujahideen Bulletin entitled, “The Road to Jerusalem Passes Through Cairo” and discusses his single-minded focus on the Egyptian context until coming under the spell of Bin Laden who manipulated al-Zawahiri into targeting the United States. Because UBL and al-Zawahiri were unable to mobilize the Muslims masses with their calls for violence except for the several hundred young kids they brainwashed who marched off to die in Iraq or Afghanistan, he says that AQ is again nothing more than a pawn stuck without a backer in a complicated game. Even though gambling is haram in Islam, UBL and al-Zawahiri have been gambling with the blood of Muslims worldwide, he argues. Their gamble has led to nothing but the death of countless Muslims and the displacement of millions. UBL has been able to galvanize some of those who are legitimately upset with the US by piggybacking his grievances on top of those, his are illegitimate because they violate basic tenets of Islam.
Some have been unable to separate the desire for revenge against the US with UBL’s offer to provide it but for very different reasons, which according to Sayyid Imam Sharif is UBL’s own question for glory and ambition. UBL plays Robin Hood, he says, trying to convince Muslims that he’s killing the Crusaders to help the Muslims. But in so doing he has:
- sacrificed the Taliban regime by provoking the US into military invasion and occupation
- sacrificed Muslim lives by brainwashing them and having them commit attacks
- sold out their own brothers
- accepted funding from the Sudanese intelligence service
- declared war on America, which provoked them into invading and occupying two Islamic countries and then tried to declare a truce with them
- made the ummah the guinea pigs for UBL and al-Zawahiri’s blind dogmatic ambition