Ok, skimming the first document: SOCOM-2012-0000003-HT from 27 August 2010
Letter from UBL to Atiyatallah regarding instructions on what to tell AQAP. UBL seems to have viewed AQAP as totally off the reservation. He was concerned about al-Awlaki’s qualifications and AQAP going off message by not getting their statements pre-approved.
Wow, this stuff is a gold mine. From this letter alone you see a UBL who is:
- irritated with AQAP
- distrustful of Anwar al-Awlaki
- anxious with internal operational security
- fretting about command and control
- totally reliant on others to get his videotaped messages out
- preoccupied with standardizing and synchronizing the AQ message
ON PRE-APPROVING SPEECHES WITH THE SENIOR LEADERSHIP
Also, I hope that brother Basir be informed that the media
appearance is his task, and in general, they should reduce the
appearance during this period unless necessary, and if necessity
calls for one of the brothers to issue a speech, thus Basir
should review it before it’s broadcasted in the media. It shall
be pointed out, whereas you didn’t point out, that the speech of
brother Sa’id al-Shahri that was issued about the apprehension
of one of the sisters in Saudi was not appropriate at the time.
Additionally, the presence of some of the characteristics by our
brother Anwar al-‘Awlaqi is a good thing, in order to serve
Jihad, and how excellent would it be if he gives us a chance to
be introduced to him more.
- And with regard to informing us of the situations by them, thus I hope that brother Basir writes me his vision in detail about the situations and also asks brother Anwar al-‘Awlaqi to write his vision in detail in a separate message, as well as brother Abu-Sufyan Sa’id al-Shahri, to send his vision in detail and separate.
How excellent would it be if you ask brother Basir to send us the resume, in detail and lengthy, of brother Anwar al-‘Awlaqi, as well as the facts he relied on when recommending him, while informing him that his recommendation is considered. However, we would like to be reassured more. For example, we here become reassured of the people when they go to the line and get examined there.
ON UBL’S NEED FOR INCREASED VISIBILITY OVER THE SITUATION ON THE GROUND
Also, I hope that he be informed of us still needing more information from the battlefield in Yemen, so that it is feasible for us, with the help of God, to make the most appropriate decision to either escalate or calm down.
ON RE-ASSERTING INTERNAL COMMAND AND CONTROL:
- With regard to what pertains to appointing the brothers in the
administrative positions, thus I see that they pledge an
allegiance that would include some points, which would protect
the work and its secrets.